It is best to report all flood damage to your insurance agent. Though some DIYers might feel that they can fix the damage themselves, flooding can cause damage to electrical wiring and pipes that is not immediately visible. In fact, right after a flood, it’s always best to shut off your gas and electricity before setting foot inside.
The next thing you have to understand is that floods bring mould. This is yet another reason that professional mould remediation experts and insurance agencies need to get involved in this process. Mould, besides being unsightly, is potentially dangerous for many reasons. At best, it can cause allergy and respiratory problems. However, in the case of prolonged adult exposure, elder exposure, or child and prenatal exposure, mould can cause neurological problems and even death in some very extreme cases.
If you can stay out of the unit affected by flooding, that’s the best course of action. If you must enter the unit, wearing a mask with a very good HEPA rating is essential. Regular dust masks are not effective in this case.
It is important that you seal off (if mould is already present) and thoroughly dry the affected area (in all cases). Any visibly impacted areas should be completely removed where possible and or thoroughly disinfected where it is not possible to remove. EACO and the CCA both have outstanding guidelines on how remediation SHOULD ALWAYS be done.
Hiring an expert will ensure these steps are followed properly and completely, so that you will not risk exposing yourself or others to mould spores in the future. Contact FERRO for professional mould remediation, so that it’s done right the first time.
Please view the latest edition of FERRO’s digital flip book HERE for a brief overview of how the various areas of our expertise and services can benefit you.