Mold Removal Can Help Avoid Illness

When Joan Bennett’s home was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, she was a skeptic that mold could make people physically sick. As the waters receded she found her home filled with mold to the point that mold removal on a large scale was impossible.

She found herself feeling nauseous and light-headed each time she entered the house which eventually led her to taking swabs of the mold. Bennett is a professor of plant biology and pathology at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. While studying the mold her team found a surprising side effect: the fruit flies that were given the mold displayed symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. They developed tremors, moved slowly and had a hard time balancing.

Bennett is now expanding her mold studies to include specimens taken from houses devastated by Hurricane Sandy as well. Her findings prove once again the importance of the proper removal of mold in both residential and business facilities.

This information is not meant to scare you but it is a reminder that prolonged exposure to mold can have a negative impact on your health. We are amazed again and again when stories such as this are followed by suggested store bought products to “safely” remove mold. Even though the cost of professional mold removal is more than a simple spray can of disinfectant, it is important to safely remove the mold or you are only putting a band-aid on a big problem.

If you have a mold problem in your home or business, contact the FERRO team as soon as possible and let a professional assess the damage. It is our job to know what needs to be done to remove the mold to protect your assets and create a safe environment for those under your care.

Please view the latest edition of FERRO’s digital flip book HERE for a brief overview of how the various areas of expertise and services can benefit you.