Black Mold (Stachybotrys) Removal for Your Home or Office

black moldPossibly the most well-known species of mold, "black mold" or “Toxic mold” (Stachybotrys chartarum or Stachybotrys chlorohalonata) will sometimes develop after water damage occurs. If you suspect black mold, you should have the situation analyzed by a professional; an environmental consultant (or laboratory if you choose to take the samples yourself) (see our upcoming blog on choosing an environmental consultant) immediately and if any is found, you should have it removed as soon as possible. Industry best practices say that all molds should be removed regardless of the species and most insiders agree that black/toxic mold removal should always be left to professionals in order to make sure the job is done correctly and safely.

Mold is a naturally occurring substance that exists everywhere in small quantities: outdoors, indoors, on surfaces in your home and yes - in the air we breathe every day. Therefore, any mold species  may be present in small amounts for a long period of time without causing any significant problems. Indoor air levels of Stachybotrys are typically low, but after water damage to a structure, the damp conditions can cause mold spores to proliferate and be released at a rapid rate. At these higher levels, exposure to black mold has been linked to symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, fatigue, and skin rashes. For most people, these symptoms are irritating but not life-threatening. However, some individuals with certain medical conditions, including asthma, could be at greater risk. Fortunately, most symptoms typically go away once the contamination is remediated.

If you suspect you have a proliferation of black mold in your home or office, contact us. We can arrange for a reputable environmental consultant to assess the situation and determine if black mold is indeed present and develop a scope of proper scope of work.  that will remediate the problem and keep you, your family and/or your employees safe. Make sure you get an experienced, reliable team of experts that can quickly and completely remove the mold from your property, then repair your structure back to its original condition.

2 Responses

  1. Black molds are indeed harmful. Getting rid of black molds is really very important in order to avoid danger especially with kids. Prolonged exposure with molds could possibly cause respiratory problems. Proper removal of these molds is a must. Licensed mold removal experts could help a lot in dealing with this concern. Thanks!
  2. Great article, I think that it will help alot of people with their mold issues. You mention that levels of Stachybotrys are typically low on air samples. In my professional opinion, any black mold present at all is reason to fail a test. Also, black mold is not easily airborne and that is why it is important to take surface samples when visible mold is present.

Leave a comment